The Amish -- Selected References
Best Recommended Books
- Amish Society, John A. Hostetler. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 1993.
- The Amish and the State, Ed. Donald B. Kraybill, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 2003.
- The Gentle People: An Inside View of Amish Life, by Joe Wittmer, Ph.D, with contributions from Amish Children and Adults, 2001. $9.95.
- A History of the Amish, Steven M. Nolt, Good Books, Intercourse, PA, 1992.
- On the Backroad to Heaven: Old Order Hutterites, Mennonites, Amish, and Brethren" by Donald Kraybil (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2001)
- "The Yoder Case" by Shawn Francis Peters (Lawrence: University of Kansas Press, 2003)
History and Culture
- Amish Society, John A. Hostetler. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 1980.
- The Amish and the State, Ed. Donald B. Kraybill, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 1993.
- Our Amish Neighbors, William I. Schreiber. University of Chicago Press, 1962. On the Ohio Amish.
- A History of the Amish, Steven M. Nolt, Good Books, Intercourse, PA, 1992
- A Peculiar People: Iowa's Old Order Amish. Elmer and Dorothy Schweider, Iowa State University Press, Ames Iowa, 1975.
- The Amish: A Photographic Album. Perry Cragg, published by Doris Cragg, 1470 Maple Rd., Cleveland, Ohio. Regional study of Ohio Amish.
- The Gentle People -- A Portrait of the Amish. James Warner and Donald Denlinger. Grossman Publishers, New York. Limited to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- The Amish: A Pioneer Heritage, John Zielinski, 620 S. RiversideDrive, Iowa City, Iowa. Photos from many regions.
- Fields of Peace: A Pennsylvania German Album. Text by Millen Brand. Photos by George A. Tice. Doubleday.
- Rosanna of the Amish, Joseph W. Yoder, Herald Press, Scottdale, Pa.
- Shoo-Fly Girl, Lois Lenski. Lippincott. Juvenile.
- Yonie Wondernose, Marguerite de Angeli. Doubleday. For children.
- Henner's Lydia, Marguerite de Angeli. Doubleday. For children.
- Children in Amish Society, John A. Hostetler and Gertrude E. Huntington. Holt Rinehart Winston, New York, 1967. Case study used in education courses.
- Compulsory Education and the Amish, Albert Keim, Beacon Press, Boston, 1975. Discusses the struggle for religious liberty.
- Amish Cooking. Pathway Publishers, Lagrange, Indiana.
- Wonderful Good Cooking from Amish Country Kitchens, Fred Wilson, et al. Amish Country Publishers, Berlin, Ohio.
- A Gallery of Amish Quilts. Robert Bishop and Elizabeth Safanda. E. P. Dutton Co., New York, 1976.
- Amish Quilt Designs and Patterns, Phyllis Haders. Main Street Press, Clinton, N.J, 1976
- The Amish, A People of Preservation. Produced by Heritage Publications, Inc. Two editions: No. 3499, 53 minutes; and No. 3399, 28 minutes. Distributed by Encyclopedia Britannica Educational Corp., 1822 Pickwick Ave., Glenview, Ill. Consult film rental libraries.
Back to home page.